Thursday, June 18, 2009

Zoodiac

I've been working on a set of Zodiac crayons for the last 2 weeks. A few more to go.

tiger
This is my favorite one so far. It's a classic pose, except without the tongue sticking out. I've seen a lot of sumi paintings of tigers climbing on rocks as a kid.

snake
A bit plain. I thought of adding scales, but it got too visually complicated.

pig
I'm thinking about remaking the pig with a different pose. He's holding a stack of gold over his head. The gold is a common theme among Chinese renditions, but it might be lost in translation. He also looks a bit goofy?

Rooster
I feel it's a little too elongated, you really don't get a sense that it's a rooster.

Goat
The horns really turned out well. I like the texture of his locks, it reminds me a bit of The Winged Lions of Babylon... only without the wings. I'm really itching to work bigger.

Rat
I love this little guy! I have to admit some are better than others. I'm experimenting more with different textures and deeper carving.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so intricate and adorable. Your work is a really nice combination of East and West, subtle but imploding with creativity and originality! I love your blythe dolls, but more then anything I'm a huge fan of your art :)

Tracy/Romancement

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Tracy, I've been thinking about starting a Blythe site as well!

Anonymous said...

I love these! What a great idea! I'd love to see you work bigger too. Don't they make those "chubby" kid crayons still?
-Sara/Devout

m said...

Congratulations,
I talk about your crayons in my blog, I love them!
marĂ­a

Brianna said...

I really love your crayons, it's such a creative idea. And executed so well.

Leililaloo said...

These are so incredibly interesting. Your work really get's to me.

Don Coker said...

Very cool and unique work! Love it.

Lois K. said...

i just saw the cellular commercial with your crayon sculpters, and i just had to look up who it was. i'm very impressed, and i'm looking forward to digging through your blog to see all your artwork!

fabricatedends said...

These are so creative and interesting. What a great idea!

heidi said...

Gorgeous! Amazing! I'm so in love with the carved crayons.

Diem Chau said...

Thank you everyone :)

Claude said...

Wow,these are amazing!

HEH said...

Diem, Will you be showing the other animals in detail? I'd love to see them closer! Beautiful work!